Dec 4, 2008

Pain Perdue

Les Oeufs
Recently, French toast, or pain perdue (lost bread) as we like to call it, has been our favorite meal. I've made it three times in the last month, and in general, there are few things that we eat this frequently. Usually the meal starts as a use for old stale bread. I often buy ciabatta from our local bakery and don't get around to using it, thus, pain perdue! The most recent time I made it, I didn't have stale bread (which makes it tastier, I think), so I used fresh whole wheat bread.
bread frying
It was still pretty lovely slathered in dark maple syrup, even though it looks kind of terrible.Pain Perdue

Pain Perdue
modified recipe from the Joy of Cooking
Serves two (roughly three slices each)


3 large eggs (I can be pretty snobby about eggs, and only buy organic, free range, foofie eggs)
1 cup milk (I often use a combination of whipping cream and soymilk, because these are other items that are often leftover in the fridge)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 or more slices slightly stale bread - I use as many as will soak up all the liquid
1 tablespoon butter

In a large bowl beat eggs until mixed. Stir in milk and vanilla. Add two slices of bread and let soak for a few minutes. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet. Add soaked slices of bread to skillet. Let cook on each side until brown. Flip, and brown second side. Repeat with each slice of soaked bread. I usually put the oven on low, and put a plate in the oven to store the slices until they're all done.

Serve with cinnamon, powdered sugar, butter, or just plain grade b maple syrup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum yum!!! More Pain Perdue please!